"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERNow I have the energy to exercise, it helped me get out of the cycle of being too tired all the time. Weight loss is the only cure."
March 22, 2016
"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERThis device really works! It takes 2 or 3 nights to become accustomed it, but it's not a difficult adjustment at all."
January 13, 2017
Do you know someone who has untreated Sleep Apnea because they cannot adapt to CPAP therapy? Or have you ever wanted an easier way to travel and still be able to treat your sleep apnea? Provent is an option to treat OSA without using a machine and mask. Place the Provent MicroValve over each nostril to create airway pressure during exhalation and prevent the airway collapse found with OSA. In the morning, remove the Provent devices and dispose of them.
The Provent Starter Kit offers a unique "step up" process as an introduction to Provent therapy allowing time to become accustomed to therapy and give the best chance of success.
Manufactured by Provent Sleep Therapy, LLC.
Provent is an FDA approved treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea which is clinically proven to be effective in reducing daytime sleepiness and nighttime snoring. Simple to use and extremely compact, Provent works with the user's own breathing to treat OSA.
Is Provent Right For You?
- Newly diagnosed with OSA but not started treatment because the machine and mask were uncomfortable? Provent provides treatment for OSA using only a very small nasal device.
- Frustrated by traveling with a CPAP set up? Frequent travelers find that Provent is discrete and greatly lightens their load.
- Given up on CPAP therapy? Provent treats Sleep Apnea without the use of a CPAP machine and mask.
- Never found a nasal mask that worked or still suffering morning with red marks and pressure points? Provent touches only the area around nasal openings and has no straps or buckles.
Provent requires a prescription. Discuss Provent with a physician to decide if its an option that may work in treating your OSA. Provent provides this guide for Healthcare Providers: Provent Healthcare Provider Guide.
30 Day Starter Kit
Adjusting to any medical therapy takes time. The gradual step up program found in the 30 Day Starter Kit is the result of Ventus Medical conducting clinical studies with Provent. The Starter Kit slowly introduces the new user to breathing with Provent by increasing the resistance level and allowing time to become accustomed to the change in exhalation.
The Starter Kit includes three phases:
- Phase 1: Nights one and two - lowest resistance (Yellow background with Pink text)
- Phase 2: Nights three and four - middle level of resistance (Orange background with Yellow text)
- Phase 3: Night five and forward - therapeutic level of resistance (Light Blue background with Orange text)
The Quick Reference Card, Application Instructions and detailed Welcome brochure provide all the information needed to use Provent.
Features of Provent include:
- One Time Use Nasal Devices
- Starter Kit - Step Up Resistance Levels
- Travel Friendly
- Hypoallergenic Adhesive
- Easy to Use and Convenient
- Small, Discrete, Portable Pouches
- FDA Approved
- No Equipment Setup or Maintenance
- Suitable for Claustrophobia
- Proven Effective in Clinical Studies
- Treats Mild, Moderate and Severe OSA
How Provent Works
Provent is designed with a unique, patented MicroValve that is placed just inside each nostril. It is secured using hypoallergenic adhesive developed with Johnson & Johnson and is similar to a band aid. During exhalation the air is channeled through small openings creating pressure which keeps the airway open, much like the pressure delivered by a CPAP machine. During inhalation the valve opens to allow airflow into the body. Unlike CPAP treatment which increases airflow during both inhalation and exhalation, Provent increases pressure only during exhalation. Provent is powered by exhalation.
Traveling with a CPAP means carrying on the machine, mask, hose and extension cord and hoping that nothing is lost or broken during the security check and travel.
The small and simple design makes Provent ideal for travel. It can easily fit into a purse, pocket, shaving kit or carry on bag. Because Provent does not use electricity it eliminates the hotel room hunt for an outlet to plug in a machine. Some users elect to use Provent for travel and CPAP when at home.
A prescription is required to make a purchase of Provent. The prescription should be written specifically for "Provent" or "Provent Therapy". The prescription can be sent in via email to email@example.com, by fax to 1-866-353-2727, or uploaded through our website: Prescription Upload. A prescription for a CPAP or BiPAP cannot be used to purchase Provent. Speak with your physician about Provent Therapy. You can download a standard Provent prescription form and physician information sheet here: Provent Prescription Form.
Beginning Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy
A good first step is to watch the Provent Instructional video. It can be found on the Video & FAQ tab of this product page. The adjustment period for using Provent Sleep Apnea treatment may vary from one person to another. Some people easily begin treatment while others experience a longer period of adjustment. It is suggested to apply Provent just before laying down to go to sleep. The new user will become accustomed to feeling resistance while breathing out through the nose. The three phases of the 30 Day Starter Kit provide an adequate adjustment period to get used to sleeping with the devices. See the Important Tips tab on this product page for more helpful information.
Return On Warranty Issues Only
This Product Includes...
- 2 - Phase 1 Provent Single Use Pairs
- 2 - Phase 2 Provent Single Use Pairs
- 26 - Phase 3 Provent Single Use Pairs
- Quick Reference Card
- Welcome Brochure
MicroValve Device: 1/4 x 7/16 inch (.6 x 1.1 cm)
Hypoallergenic Adhesive Oval: 1 x 1 3/8 inches (2.5 x 3.5 cm)
CPAP.com always offers these services:
- 8 am to 8 pm CST Toll Free Phone and Email Support
- 24 hour access to our CPAPtalk.com Support Forum
- Learning Center for information on sleep apnea and cpap equipment
- Consumer Purchasing Trends Reports
- Warranty Services for all items purchased through CPAP.com
- Insurance Compliant Invoices
- Free Prescription Request System
How to Use Provent
- Apply Provent just before going to bed.
- Begin with a clean, dry nose free of moisturizers or makeup.
- Always apply Provent using a mirror.
- Using the tab, lift the device off the paper backing.
- Draw down the upper lip to stretch the area between the nose and the upper lip as if shaving that area.
- Align the mesh, non-adhesive, part of the device with the nostril using the plastic cone as a guide.
- Point the tabs up, towards the inner eye.
- After positioning, press down on the adhesive all the way around the device to ensure a seal.
- The adhesive will overlap between the nostrils.
- Breathe through your mouth, it will close once you are asleep.
- Discard the one-time use Provent devices after sleep and not reuse the devices.
Is Provent Covered By Insurance?
Since Provent relatively new, it may not be covered by all insurance plans. In many cases, a health flexible spending account may help cover the costs of the therapy.
Tips for New Users
Provent changes the feel of exhalation and will take time to become accustomed to it. If you are uncomfortable during the night, remove the Provent device and try again the next time. The Phases of Provent are intended to be used consecutive nights through the adjustment period.
People new to Provent are encouraged to read the information made available by the manufacturer. It instructs on how to apply Provent, how to breathe with it and what to expect. This will help with the acclimation process.
- Provent™ Instructions for Use
- How to Apply Provent™
- Provent™ Tips for Success
- Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy - Method of Action Flyer
- Provent Airway Pressure Graphs
- Provent Healthcare Provider Guide
Notes and Tips
- Provent is intended for use by people who can breathe through their nose. Because of the way it functions, people who breathe through their mouth will not receive the benefits of the airway pressure generated by channeling the exhaled air though the valve. If your mouth drops open during sleep consider using a Chinstrap. If you use decongestants continue to use them to maintain free airflow though the nose.
- When awake and wearing Provent, you are encouraged to breathe out through your mouth. You will begin to breathe through the device once you are asleep.
- If you are feeling uncomfortable during the night when using Provent, just take the Provent off and try again the next night.
- It is normal for the Provent adhesive ovals to overlap between the nostrils or nares.
- Excessive nasal hair should be trimmed prior to using Provent to ensure adequate airflow. A mustache may prevent adequate seal around the nare and may require additional trimming.
- Oil on the surface may prevent the adhesive from sticking. Wipe around the nose with a few drops of witch hazel on a clean tissue or cloth and allow to dry before applying Provent.
- Provent is not intended to be used simultaneously with a CPAP. Provent may be used on some nights and CPAP therapy used other nights. Do not use CPAP and Provent at the same time. Use Sleep Apnea therapy on a nightly basis to maintain the benefits of the treatment of Sleep Apnea.
- Some people who use Provent when traveling and CPAP when at home find the adjustment between the two natural. Other users find the adjustment period longer.
- If irritation in or around the nostrils occurs discontinue the use of Provent.
- Provent is not cleared for use in children. Provent is intended for use in adults over the age of 18.
- Clinical studies results for Provent show that 83% of people studied showed a reduction in snoring, and further, that in persons with OSA who snore, 58% found that Provent virtually eliminated snoring. It is recommended that you discuss Provent with your physician to see if it is an option for you.
Provent is NOT recommended in the presence of any of the following conditions:
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) or a patient requiring the use of a BiPAP ST
- Severe breathing disorders including respiratory muscle weakness, bullous lung disease, bypassed upper airway, pneumothorax, pneumomediastinum, etc.
- Severe heart disease, including heart failure
- Pathologically low blood pressure
- An acute upper respiratory including nasal, sinus or middle ear inflammation or infection or perforation of the ear drum
- Deviated septum
- Those who require the use of supplemental oxygen
- Pregnant women
Customer ReviewsView All Reviews
CPAP Video & FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How is Provent different from CPAP therapy?
- Provent is a small valve device that fits over the nostrils and creates a back pressure during exhalation to keep the airway open. CPAP therapy maintains the airway by blowing a stream of air that is delivered through a mask. CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.
- How does Provent work?
- The Provent valve allows the user to easily breathe in during inhalation. During exhalation the valve closes except for a small opening or channel. Breathing out through the channel increase the pressure in the airway creating EPAP or Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure to keep the airway open.
- Do I need a prescription to buy Provent?
- Yes, Provent does require a prescription to make a purchase, just as CPAP machines and masks do. We can assist you in getting a prescription. Log into your account to have us request a prescription. Or, when checking out, you can select the field asking we contact your doctor to get a prescription.