"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERThe difference between the S8 and S9 is enormous. What an incredible improvement! The S9 is super quiet. I highly recommend this machine."
November 18, 2011
"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERI had put off a new CPAP for too long -- This quiet little machine Has improved my comfort and is just a joy to use"
April 24, 2014
The S9 Escape™ CPAP Machine with EPR™ is a sleek, all-in-one system that is ideal for any nightstand. ResMed has incorporated Easy-Breathe Technology along with expiratory pressure relief (EPR) to make breathing through a CPAP feel more "natural". The S9 CPAP and included H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control offer major improvements and advanced features in climate control.
Manufactured by ResMed.
- H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
- SlimLine or (Optional) ClimateLine Tubing
- Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR)
- Easy Breathe Technology
H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
ResMed's H5i™ Heated Humidifier, which is included with the S9 Escape™ incorporates an intelligent humidity controlling technology. The Climate Control system is managed through a combination of the S9 machine, H5i humidifier and the OPTIONAL ClimateLine heated tubing. There are five sensors throughout the system that monitor ambient temperature and patient airflow. The ClimateLine heated tubing uses a built-in mask temperature sensor to reach relative humidity at the mask. Sensors inside and outside the CPAP machine closely monitor changes in humidity and helps prevent condensation from forming inside the tube. Rainout can hinder CPAP therapy and affect compliance. With the H5i humidifier, set the level of humidity and attach the OPTIONAL ClimateLine tubing to achieve a new level of comfort.
SlimLine and (Optional) ClimateLine Tubing
The S9 Series CPAP machines come standard with the ResMed SlimLine Tubing. The small diameter air tube is ultra-light, flexible and provides a unique alternative to bulky, generic 6 foot hoses. ResMed also offers a Standard Hose.
The ClimateLine Tubing has an internal heated coil and mask temperature sensor that helps manage rainout throughout the hose. Climate Control algorithms measure temperatures from the humidifier to prevent condensation from forming. The ClimateLine Tubing can use the SlimLine Tubing Wrap to achieve total control of rainout.
Expiratory Pressure Relief (EPR)
EPR decreases the pressure at the beginning of each breath and keeps the pressure low throughout the exhalation. The pressure is reduced by an exact pressure drop of one, two or three centimeters of water pressure. EPR gradually changes therapy pressures so there is little ventilatory effect. EPR also has an Event Detection Circuit. When a sleep disordered breathing event lasts longer than 10 seconds, EPR stops until the event concludes and normal breathing with EPR resumes.
EPR with Easy-Breathe technology also allows users to customize the RAMP feature. Set the S9 Escape to EPR RAMP ONLY mode to enhance comfort and help improve compliance. Users are more aware of pressure changes as they fall asleep, using pressure relief during the ramp period naturalizes this process.
Easy-Breathe technology softens the breathing cycle by monitoring the user's breathing pattern. Along with EPR, the S9 Escape synchronizes the user's inspiratory and expiratory cycle. A smoother, more natural delivery of pressure keeps the motor whisper-quiet when operating. Easy-Breathe allows the S9 Series to operate at 26 dBA when set to 10cm of pressure from a distance of one meter. The overall reduction in motor operation helps keep conducted noise from traveling through the tubing and away from the mask. No more motor whining and noise generated inside the CPAP hose.
View our CPAP Newsletter CPAP Newsletter: Understanding the S9 Line to see a detailed comparison of S9 Machines.
This Product Includes...
- S9 Escape CPAP Machine
- Carrying Case
- SlimLine Performance Tubing
- Power Supply and Cord
- Disposable Filter
- Patient Manual
- SD Memory Card
Pressure: 4 to 20 cm H2O (.2 increments)
Ramp Time: 0 to 45 min. (5-min. increments)
Starting Ramp Pressure: 4 to min pressure
Dimensions: 6 in x 5.5 in x 3.25 in
Bag Dimensions - Outside: 13.5 in x 12 in x 5.5 in
Machine Weight: 1.79lbs
Filters: Pollen or Hypoallergenic
Sound Level: 26 dBA
Operating Altitude: Sea level to 8500' (2591 m)
SlimLine Air Tubing: Flexible plastic, 1.83m, 15mm inner diameter
Optional ClimateLine Tubing Length: 78 inches
Optional ClimateLine MAX Tubing Length: 75 inches
Housing Construction: Flame retardant thermoplastic
Device Set-Up: Push Dial
Available Languages: English (Default), French, Spanish, Portugese
Humidification: Optional Integrated Heated Humidifier or Pass-over Humidifier
DC Power: Only use DC Converter by ResMed for DC input or damage may occur.
Warranty: 2 Year Manufacturer
90W Power Supply:
- Dimensions of Power Supply Only - Not including Cord or Plug: 5 1/2 inch (L) x 1 7/8 inch (W) x 1 1/4 inch (D)
- Weight of Power Supply, Cord & Plug: 1.29 Pounds
- Unit Input Range 100-240V, 50-60Hz,
- Nominal for Aircraft Use 110V, 400Hz
- Typical Power Consumption 70W (80VA)
- Maximum Power Consumption 110W (120VA)
European Voltage Usage: Yes, outlet adapters required
Data Storage Capacity:
- Display: 365 days summary data (up to 500 events per session.)
- SD Memory Card: 365 days summary data and 30 Days and 7 nights detailed data
These S9 devices comply with US FFC Part 15, Class B requirements if no external data cables are used.
Max Exposure Heat for Machine:
Machine should not be exposed to heat greater than 140 degrees Fahrenheit
Required Settings: 1 Pressure Setting is Required
Unless directed otherwise, CPAP.com will leave this machine at its default settings of:
- EPR: Off
- Ramp: On
- Ramp Time: 20 Minutes
- Ramp Start: 4 cm H2O
CPAP.com always offers these services:
- 8 am to 8 pm CST Toll Free Phone and Email Support
- 24 hour access to our CPAPtalk.com Support Forum
- Learning Center for information on sleep apnea and cpap equipment
- Consumer Purchasing Trends Reports
- Warranty Services for all items purchased through CPAP.com
- Insurance Compliant Invoices
- Free Prescription Request System
- Some product images supplied by ResMed © ResMed 2010 Used with Permission.
- ResMed products are for sale only to patients within the U.S. and not to other third parties or businesses.
- A valid prescription is required for the purchase of this product.
- All services provided by CPAP.com, including advertisement, ordering, sale, delivery, instruction, and setup of the products are performed solely by CPAP.com and independently of the manufacturer.
Deciding which S9 Machine to Choose
To see a detailed comparison of the different S9 CPAP machines by features, please see our CPAP Newsletter: Understanding the S9 Line.
The S9 line of machines come with SlimLine hosing which has a 15mm diameter. A standard (22mm) hose can be used with the S9 machines, however the Patient Setup Menu must be accessed and the "Tube" setting changed from "Slim" to "Standard". If a ClimateLine hose is attached this setting is automatically changed accordingly.
Power SupplyThe S9 Series can use (2) different Power Supply units, a 30 Watt or 90 Watt external brick. S9 machines come standard with a 90 Watt Power Supply that can power the CPAP machine and Humidifier. The 30 Watt Power Supply will only operate the CPAP machine and the humidifier will act as a passover.
The DC Converter 24V/90W For S9 Machines allows this machine to be used with battery power.
For help understanding how EPR with Easy-Breathe works, click on EPR with Easy-Breathe Tech Fact Sheet.
For help with setting up the S9 Series, click on the S9 Escape Welcome Guide.
All S9 Series machines utilize a "Cool Down" feature that runs the CPAP Motor up to 1 hour after turning the machine off. The motor helps to cool off the humidifier plate. You may hear a "faint blowing sound" when you turn the machine off. However, you can unplug the power cord and allow the heater plate to cool without airflow.
H5i Humidification Level
The H5i Heated Humidifier has three modes: Patient, Auto and OFF. These settings can be accessed under "Climate Control" through the Clinical Menu.
When the H5i is set in Auto mode it will measure the amount of humidity in the room and heat only as much as needed to reach the optimal moisture level of 80% and then stop heating and go into a cool down mode. When the H5i again senses the need to raise the humidity to 80% it will begin to heat.
When the H5i is set in Patient mode it will heat in the traditional manner until it reaches the desired setting of humidity or 80%. The H5i can be set from OFF to 6 and is adjusted from the HOME screen.
The maximum level of humidification is 80% whether using the SlimLine of ClimiteLine Tubing.
ClimateLine Tubing Information and Use:
- Tubing Options: ResMed's S9 Escape has a number of tubing options. The SlimLine 15mm tube is a non-heated tube in a thin, flexible style. The machine can also be used with an OPTIONAL heated ClimateLine Tubing which integrates with the machine and OPTIONAL H5i Heated Humidifier to provide increased humidification and reduced chances of rainout. The ClimateLine is available in two diameters. The SlimLine 15mm ClimateLine Tubing and a standard diameter 19mm ClimateLine Max Tubing. Additionally a standard diameter, non-heated tube may be used.
- ClimateLine Tubing Lengths: A traditional CPAP tube is 72 inches long. The optional 15mm ClimateLine Tubing length is 78 inches. The optional 19mm ClimateLine MAX Tubing length is 75 inches.
- Installation of the ClimateLine: The ClimateLine attaches to the back of the machine using the same port as a standard hose. The electronics connection is below the port and may be covered with a protective flexible rubber cap attached the machine. Place the machine so the back of the unit housing the filter and hose connection is facing you. After removing the rubber cap, orient the hose so the electronic tab is facing toward the filter. Push the tubing end firmly onto the port, then rotate the tube clockwise to fit the two electronic connections together.
- Removing the ClimateLine: To remove the ClimateLine from the back of the machine, rotate the hose counter clockwise. The electronic connections disengage allowing the hose to removed. Cover the machine's electronic port with the flexible rubber cap to protect the connections.
ClimateLine Tubing Lengths
A traditional CPAP tube is 72 inches long. The optional ClimateLine Tubing length is 78 inches. The optional ClimateLine MAX tubing length is 75 inches.
If an O2 Enrichment Adapter is used with the ClimateLine Heated Tubing for the S9 Series of CPAP machines, the O2 Enrichment Adapter must be placed between the ClimateLine tubing and the mask instead of between the S9 Humidifier and the hose, in order for the ClimateLine tubing to work correctly.
This machine comes with a 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty. CPAP.com will work with the manufacturer on your behalf if the machine needs repairs. Please follow these steps:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-356-5221 to receive an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) Number before returning the equipment
- Include a note with the machine describing the issue you are experiencing, along with your full contact information to include a return shipping address and the RMA number provided to you
- Ship only the defective items to CPAP.com at 13235 N Promenade Blvd Stafford, TX 77477
- Do not return accessory items such as the carry bag, hose or power cords
- Loaner Machines are available for rental during the warranty process
- Email updates will be sent to keep you informed as the machine moves through the warranty process
- CPAP.com will contact the manufacturer on your behalf and handle all shipping between us and the manufacturer
- The repaired or replaced unit will be returned to you. Shipping charges may apply.
Please note: The manufacturer warranty is voided by water damage or misuse of the machine.
Battery Power for S9 Escape
The following information is applicable for the ResMed S9 Escape alone or with a heated humidifier. Keep in mind that using a heated humidifier will reduce the run time of the battery by approximately one half.
- DC capable: Use the DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines to operate the S9 Escape from a DC power source (battery).
- ResMed Power Station II Battery Kit for S9™ Machines: This battery kit made my ResMed provides great compatibility by using the S9's power supply for charging.
- S9™ Series DC Cable for ResMed Power Station (RPS) II: Already own a ResMed RPS II but are missing the S9 connection? This cord is made specifically for S9 units to connect to the RPS II battery.
- Freedom Travel Battery Pack for CPAP Machines: Use the 24V Converter for Freedom Battery to connect to the Freedom. The Freedom is a lightweight lithium ion battery.
- Respironics Battery Kit for S9 Machines: This kit includes a sealed lead acid battery manufactured by Respironics and DC power cord for use with S9 machines. This battery offers a longer runtime than a lithium ion battery.
- Inverter Requirement: Already have an inverter you want to use? A Modified Sine Wave Inverter rated at a minimum of 150W with an output of sine wave, square wave, triangle wave or sawtooth wave may be used. A higher wattage may be used if desired. CPAP.com offers the 150 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter. Please note that direct DC connection will result in approximately twice as much run time compared to use with an inverter.
The DC Converter 24V/90W For S9 Machines is required to use the following machines with DC power directly from a battery:
- S9 Escape™ CPAP Machine with EPR™
- S9 Elite™ CPAP Machine with EPR™
- S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
- S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with H5i™ Heated Humidifier for Her
- S9 VPAP™ Auto BiLevel Machine
- S9 VPAP S BiLevel Machine
Failure to use the ResMed DC Converter 24V/90W For S9 Machines can result in damage to your CPAP.
DC Converter 24V/90W For S9 Machines may be used with the Respironics Battery Pack (No DC Cable).
The ResMed Power Station II is a battery kit made specifically for S9 machines. This battery kit includes all necessary components to connect to a S9 machine. It can be used with all S9 Series machines, and the battery is charged with the S9 power supply and cord. The battery can be used during travel or at home as a battery back up if electricity is lost.
The battery has an estimated run time of 13 hours with an S9 machine set at 10 cmwp without a heated humidifier. Please note the addition of a heated humidifier will greatly reduce the run time of the battery. Please reference the ResMed Battery/Device List for more information on Battery Run Time.
This external lead acid battery pack is the ultimate in power, portability and convenience. This battery pack is a great option to have on hand to power the S9 Escape™ CPAP Machine in the event of a power outage. This battery kit comes with the Respironics Battery Pack and the DC Converter 24V 90W For S9™ Machines.