"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERWe used this battery for a two night camping trip. For the first time in years, everyone got a good night's sleep. Very satisfied with the battery life."
May 26, 2011
The Universal Portable Battery Pack from Respironics' line of DC accessories, provides the ultimate in power, portability and convenience. This kit is designed to work with the ResMed S8 line of machines. Please see below for the list of compatible machines for this battery kit.
Manufactured by Philips Respironics.
Switch Mode Charger: The 12V, 2.3A charger is designed to effectively charge a sealed, lead-acid battery while protecting the system from overcharging. NOTE: Remove the charger from the carry case PRIOR to charging the battery. Do not charge the battery with the charger in the carry case. The Respironics Battery Pack must be charged from an AC source.
Universal Voltage Input of 100-240 AC: The Respironics Battery Pack can be charged with AC current between 100 - 240V. This provides reverse polarity and short circuit protection.
Status Lights: Multi-colored charging status lights:
- RED: Connect the charger to the battery, then connect the wall outlet plug into a wall outlet. Watch the LED light when plugging in the charger. The LED light will turn RED once plugged into the wall outlet. The RED light indicates the charger is correctly connected to the battery. The light may be RED for only a short time before it changes to orange.
- ORANGE: During normal operation, the LED light turns ORANGE when the battery charge is 80-95% charged.
- GREEN: The LED light turns GREEN when the battery is fully charged. Disconnect the battery from the wall outlet and charger when the LED light turns Green.
Charge Time: Charging the battery from 0 (zero) to a full charge takes approximately 10 hours. If the battery has residual power stored, the charge time will be shorter. The battery MUST BE in the upright position during charging and use. Remove the battery from the charger once fully charged. Fully charged the battery before use. The battery should be stored charged. See the Spec Tab of this product page for more information on storage and usage.
Shelf Life: The Respironics Battery Pack has a charge shelf life of 6 - 9 months. Charge the battery prior to storage. The optimal temperature for storage 77° F. As the battery sits there will be a self discharge of power, with less residual charge as time passes. See the Spec Tab of this product page for more information on self discharge rates.
Estimated Run Times: Please see the "Machine Pressure and Battery Performance" feature below to estimate the battery run time for your machine at your pressure setting. Using a DC capable heated humidifier on a 12 volt battery power source will significantly reduce the amount of power provided. In most cases, battery run time is reduced to less than half the estimated operational time. Some older heated humidifiers will not heat with a DC power source and will instead act as a cool passover humidifier. CPAPs or BiPAPs requiring inverters reduce the power time even more.
Compatible Machines. This battery kit comes with the Respironics battery and the DC12 Converter for S8 Machines. If you have any questions call our toll free number 800-356-5221 for assistance from a CPAP expert. The following machines are compatible for this kit:
- S8 AutoSet II CPAP Machine
- S8 Elite CPAP Machine
- S8 Elite II CPAP Machine
- S8 Escape Travel CPAP Machine
- S8 Escape II CPAP Machine
- S8 Vantage EPR Auto CPAP Machine
- S8 VPAP Auto BiLevel Machine
S8 Machines this Battery Kit is not Compatible with:
- Refer to the The Respironics Battery Kit with DC to AC Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
This Product Includes...
- Respironics Battery Pack
- Battery Charger
- AC Power Cord
- DC-12 Converter
- Battery Travel Bag
- Instruction Booklet
Battery Type: Sealed Lead Acid
Safety: Conforms to EN 60601-1
Battery Power Output: 14.4 Amp Hr
Battery Dimensions: 6.5" L x 7.5" W x 9" H
Battery Weight: 13 lbs, 10.7 oz. (6.2 kg)
Battery Position During Charge and Use: Upright Position
Charger Charging Voltage: 14.7 V
Charger Charging Current: 2.3 A
Charger Maximum Output Power: 35 W
Charger Cable Length: 67" Approx.
Operating Temperature - Discharging: -4° F to 122° F
Operating Temperature - Charging: 0° F to 104° F
Storage Temperature: 5° F to 104° F
Relative Humidity - Storage and Operating: 25% to 85%
Fuse: Mini 15 A (Examples: Littlefuse PN 297015 or Respironics PN 1044137)
Estimated Charge Time From 0 (Zero) to Full Charge: 10 Hours (Disconnect Charger When Fully Charged)
Charge Shelf Life: 6-9 Months (Store Charged)
Shelf Discharge Rate When Stored at 77° F:
- Residual Capacity at 3 Months: 91%
- Residual Capacity at 6 Months: 82%
- Residual Capacity at 12 Months: 64%
Battery Warranty: 1 Year12v DC Cable Warranty: 90 Days
CPAP.com always offers these services:
- 8 am to 8 pm CST Toll Free Phone and Email Support
- 24 hour access to our CPAPtalk.com Support Forum
- Learning Center for information on sleep apnea and cpap equipment
- Consumer Purchasing Trends Reports
- Warranty Services for all items purchased through CPAP.com
- Insurance Compliant Invoices
- Free Prescription Request System
- Philips Respironics products are for sale only to patients within the U.S. and not to other third parties or businesses.
- All services provided by CPAP.com, including advertisement, ordering, sale, delivery, instruction, and setup of the products are performed solely by CPAP.com and independently of the manufacturer.
The battery must be in an UPRIGHT POSITION during use and while
The ResMed VPAP Auto 25 and VPAP ST use a different cord, DC-24 Converter For ResMed. Refer to the Respironics Battery Kit for ResMed VPAP Auto 25 & VPAP ST Machines for a complete battery kit for these machines.
The S8 Compact CPAP Machine does not come with a DC jack and will require the Respironics Battery Kit with DC to AC Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter.
User Manual: To view the Respironics Battery Pack manual, click HERE. This document holds a print date of 08/28/2009. It may provide information meant for older machines, please read through this important tips tab for current warnings and specifications.
Instructions for Charging the Respironics Battery Pack:
- Remove the charger from the front zippered pouch of the carry case.
- Plug the 12V power adapter (cigarette lighter adapter) of the charger into the 12V DC power port attached the battery pack.
- Plug the power cord into the adapter.
- Plug the power cord of the adapter into a wall outlet.
- WATCH the light on the charger when it is plugged into the wall outlet to ensure it turns RED, even if it is RED only briefly. The RED light indicates the charger is correctly connected to the battery. The light may be RED for only a short time before it changes to orange.
- ORANGE: During the normal charge operation, the LED light turns ORANGE when the battery charge is 80-95% charged.
- GREEN: The LED light turns GREEN when the battery is fully charged.
- Disconnect the battery from the wall outlet and charger when the LED light turns Green.
- Store the charger and cord in the front zippered pouch.
Replaceable AC Charger
If the AC charger should be lost or fail, a new one can be purchased. Visit the Battery Charger for Respironics Battery Pack page to view and order this item.
400 Watt Minimum DC to AC Inverters: The Respironics battery must be charged from an AC source. Charging the battery pack from a direct DC source is NOT recommended. An inverter converts DC power to AC power. The AC power can be used to charge the Respironics Battery Pack. The inverter must be a minimum of 400 Watt. Consider the 400 Watt DC to AC Power Inverter.
Air Travel: The Respironics Battery Pack uses a sealed, lead-acid battery, which are allowed as carry-on luggage by the FAA and TSA. In-flight use will be determined by the airline and should be contacted on an airline-by-airline basis.
Preparing For Travel: We suggest purchasing the battery pack far enough in advance so the battery can be tested with the your CPAP machine. This allows you to determine the actual run time using the machine at your pressure setting. Additionally you can test whether or not heated humidification is required for your comfort.
Regarding Heated Humidifiers:
For optimum performance of the battery pack, plan to use the CPAP without a heated humidifier. Alternately, connect the humidifier but do not turn on the power. Add water to the chamber as usual and the humidifier will act as a passover, non-heated humidifier.
Using a heated humidifier on a 12volt battery power source will significantly reduce the amount of power provided. In most cases, usage is reduced to less than half the estimated operational time. CPAPs or BiPAPs requiring inverters reduce the power time even more.
Please note that some heated humidifiers are not capable of being operated on 12volt battery power sources. PR System One and PR System One 60 Series heated humidifiers will heat and will draw significant battery power. The M Series heated humidifiers with the 6'' 'pigtail' connectors are capable of running on 12volt DC power sources. Earlier model M Series heated humidifiers without the pigtail are not 12Volt capable, nor are the Legacy model REMstar and stand-alone H2 humidifiers. The older non-DC capable humidifiers will act as cool passover humidifiers and will not heat.
WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS:
- DO NOT store the battery in a very hot environment such as a vehicle in hot weather, in direct sunlight or near a heat source such as camp fire or stove. The battery may corrode, ignite or create an electrical shock hazard.
- The battery MUST be in an upright position during charging and use.
- Remove the charger from the carrying case BEFORE charging the battery.
- DO NOT drop the battery or strike with heavy objects. Damage or deterioration may result from dropping or striking.
- If the battery leaks and the gel spills on the skin or clothing, IMMEDIATELY wash it off with plenty of water. If the gel comes in contact with your eyes, immediately flush your eyes with plenty of clean water and seek medical attention.
- Use the battery in a well ventilated area.
- Replace the battery if it fails to charge or you notice a decrease in capacity.
- Inspect the power cord for signs of damage. Discontinue use and replace the charger (enclosure of cord) if it is damaged.
- Do not underestimate the weight of the battery.
- Battery Fuse: To ensure proper operation of your battery, use a 15A fuse only.
- Some older heated humidifiers will not heat when using DC power. They will instead act as a cool passover humidifier.
The S8 Series CPAP machines operate automatically between 110v and 240v AC. When traveling either inside or outside the USA, there are no switches to switch or fuses to change. The machine will automatically sense what voltage is needed and set itself to run on that power.
The user will need to adapt the plug that goes into the wall to fit the style of outlet socket that is being used. This is simply done with a Power Adapter Plug kit. This is the same type of plug adapter that would be used with a hair dryer or an electric shaver. World Traveler Power Adapter Plugs.
DC12 Converter for S8 Machines
ResMed S8 Series CPAP machines come equipped with a DC plug on the back of the unit. This allows the user to connect the CPAP to an external DC battery source. This cord is ideal for travel by recreational vehicle, boat, or any external DC batter that is equipped with a cigarette lighter plug.
CPAP.com Battery Kit for S8 Machines
The 2.5 lb CPAP.com Battery Pack is surprisingly small and lightweight. The lithium ion battery can be recharged at any discharge level without losing charge time due to battery memory loss. This battery has been approved by the United Nations and Department of Transportation as tested safe for travel. This battery kit comes with the CPAP.com battery and the DC12 Converter for S8 Machines, the cable needed to power most ResMed S8 CPAP machines.
Respironics Battery Kit for S8 Machines.
This portable battery pack is an external lead acid battery that is the ultimate in power, portability and convenience. This battery kit comes with the Respironics battery and the DC12 Converter for S8 Machines, the cable needed to power most ResMed S8 CPAP machines.
Customer ReviewsView All Reviews
CPAP Video & FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Will my CPAP operate on DC / battery power?
- All CPAPs will operate on DC power with the use of an Inverter to change the current from DC to AC before it reaches the machine. However, many will operate on DC power without the need for an inverter, just a power cord that plugs into the CPAP and ends in a cigarette lighter plug.
Inverters do require a lot of power. If you need to use an inverter to run your machine on battery power, the inverter will probably take about half the life off the battery.
To determine if your CPAP will operate without an inverter, look for a DC outlet on the machine, either at the back or on the side, with a single opening directly in the center. It should be labeled "DC POWER" or similar term. You can also review our Compare Charts to see if your machine has a optional DC cable option.
Here is a video describing different DC cable and battery options for various machines:
- How do I use a battery to operate my CPAP?
All machines can connect to DC power. Some machines are configured to operate on DC Power and have a DC power outlet. Other machines require AC power and will need an Inverter that turns DC power to AC power.
Having the proper equipment is the biggest key to successfully operating the machine from a battery. For example, if your machine does have a DC outlet and you want to run your machine from a marine battery, be sure to get the correct DC cable for the machine, as well as an adapter cable with alligator clips that fits over the cigarette lighter plug.
CPAP.com sells complete battery kits with everything you need for many machines including the correct cables for those machines and batteries. If you have questions about the specific power needs of your machine, review the 'Power' tab found on the machine's product page, or give us a call at 1-800-356-5221.
- How do I prepare for power outages with CPAP?
- There are a lot of back up battery choices out there that can give you peace of mind in case of a power outage. The Transcend Travel CPAP Machine has Battery Options available that can set up as a fail-over, back up battery. Review the 'POWER' Tab on the machine page.
CPAP.com sells Battery Packs to accompany your machine if an integrated battery is not available. Visit CPAPtalk for more advice specific to your needs, or view this past thread on the topic here.
- Will my CPAP operate overseas?
- An adapter may be required to plug a US power cord into a wall outlet in a foreign country. CPAP.com sells an assortment pack of World Traveler Power Adapter Plugs, which allow CPAP machines to plug into different types of wall sockets found in different countries.
All the models CPAP.com sell contain power converters that enable the machine to operate on any AC current from 100 to 240 volts without any adjustment.
- What type of power does my CPAP need?
- Most CPAP, APAP and BiLevel machines today are designed to operate on both AC and DC voltage. In the United States, the AC current from a wall outlet is 110 volts. Overseas, the AC current is usually 220 or 240 volt. Most batteries produce 12 volt DC current.
We include information about the power needs and capacities on the CPAP.com pages our products. Please see the "POWER" tab on any machine product page for this information. You can also see a summary of the voltage range and whether it is DC capable on our Compare Charts.
Here is a video explaining differences in power cords and power supplies of various CPAP machines:
- What type of battery should I use?
- For longer battery use, we suggest using a deep-cycle marine battery to power the machine. A deep-cycle marine battery is heavier than the ordinary battery, but it has many advantages. The battery is easily found at auto shops and it provides power to the machine for an extended period of time. For example, a CPAP machine set at 10 cm H20 and charged on a deep-cycle marine battery will usually last three nights before it needs to be recharged.
There are small, portable battery packs that will operate a CPAP set at 10cm for at least one night, or about eight hours. CPAP.com sells full Battery Kits that come with everything needed to run your machine off battery power including the correct cables needed for your machine and a battery. You can find the battery kit for your machine Here. On each battery kit page, you can input your machine and pressure setting to see an estimate battery life for your machine.
Some machines have batteries created to be used specifically with them only. Here are some of the machines we carry with integrated or specialized battery options:
Transcend EZEX miniCPAP™ Machine
Z1 Travel CPAP Machine
Transcend Auto miniCPAP™ Machine with EZEX
Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine