"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERWorks really well, my husband said no more snoring from me!!"
May 3, 2017
People diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea who could not adjust to CPAP therapy now have another option. Provent is approved for the treatment of OSA. The Provent MicroValve is placed over each nostril to create airway pressure preventing airway collapse. The one-use device is discarded in the morning.
For people new to Provent, the manufacturer recommends the Provent™ Sleep Apnea Therapy 30 Day Starter Kit with graduated levels to assist in the adjustment period.
Manufactured by Provent Sleep Therapy, LLC.
Who Might Benefit from Provent
- Provent treats Sleep Apnea without using a mask and CPAP machine. It may be an option for a person who has given up on CPAP therapy.
- Provent makes contact only with the nares, or the area around nasal openings. There are no straps or buckles. Someone who has never found a nasal mask that worked for them may find Provent a fit.
- Traveling with a CPAP set up can be frustrating. Provent greatly lightens the load when traveling.
- Provent provides treatment for OSA using only a very small and unique nasal device. It is another option for people diagnosed with OSA who have never begun treatment because the machine and mask were uncomfortable.
- A person experiencing claustrophobia may be unable to wear a mask. Provent covers only the nasal opening only.
It is clinically proven that Provent is effective in reducing daytime sleepiness and nighttime snoring. It is an FDA approved treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Provent works with the user's own breathing to treat OSA. It is very small and compact and easy to use. Provent is powered by the exhalation process.
A prescription is required to purchase Provent. To decided if Provent may be an option to treat OSA, discuss it with a physician. Provent provides this guide for Healthcare Providers: Provent Healthcare Provider Guide.
30 Day Pack
The 30 Day Pack is meant as a resupply purchase for people who have already tried Provent therapy. If you have not yet tried Provent, the manufacturer suggests starting with the Provent 30 Day Starter Kit. If you have already used Provent, a Provent 90 Day Resupply Pack and a Provent 180 Day Resupply Pack are available.
- Small & Portable Pouch for Each One-Time-Use Pair
- Unique Nasal Device
- FDA Approved to Treat OSA
- Proven Effective in Clinical Studies
- Convenient & Easy to Use
- Extremely Travel Friendly
- No Equipment Setup or Maintenance
- Hypoallergenic Adhesive
- Treats Mild, Moderate and Severe OSA
How Provent Works
The unique MicroValve of Provent is placed just inside each nostril, using the cone to guide placement. Provent secured in place using hypoallergenic adhesive, similar to a band aid, which was developed with Johnson & Johnson. As the user exhales, the air is channeled through small openings in the MicroValve creating pressure keeping the airway open. This is much like the pressure delivered by a CPAP machine. As the user inhales the valve opens to allow airflow into the body. Provent increases pressure only during exhalation unlike CPAP which increases airflow during both inhalation and exhalation.
Anyone who has traveled with a CPAP has had the experience of packing up the machine, mask, hose and extension cord and going through the security check hoping that nothing is lost or broken.
Simply put, Provent is ideal for travel. Slip it into a purse, pocket, shaving kit or carry on bag. Because Provent does not use electricity it eliminates the hotel room hunt for an outlet to plug in a machine. Some users elect to use Provent for travel and CPAP when at home.
Provent requires a prescription written specifically for "Provent" or "Provent Therapy". Submit the prescription to us via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 1-866-353-2727, or uploaded through our website: Prescription Upload. Provent cannot be purchased using a prescription written for a CPAP or BiPAP machine. Wondering how to address Provent Therapy with your physician? You can download a standard Provent prescription form and physician information sheet here: Provent Prescription Form.
Starting Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy
It is recommended to watch the Provent Instructional video. It can be found on the the Video & FAQ tab of this product page. As with most medical treatments, there will be an adjustment period when starting Provent Therapy and it may vary from one person to another. For some, exhaling through the Provent MicroValve feels very natural and they easily adjust. Others may experience a longer period of adjustment. The manufacturer of Provent suggests applying it just before laying down to go to sleep as there is a vibration heard when speaking. A new user of Provent will become accustomed to feeling resistance while breathing out through the nose. The 30 Day Starter Kit is intended to provide an adequate length of time to get used to sleeping with the devices and is available here: Provent™ Sleep Apnea Therapy 30 Day Starter Kit.
Return On Warranty Issues Only
This Product Includes...
- 30 - Provent Single Use Pairs
MicroValve Device: 1/4 x 7/16 inch (.6 x 1.1 cm)
Hypoallergenic Adhesive Oval: 1 x 1 3/8 inches (2.5 x 3.5 cm)
CPAP.com always offers these services:
- 8 am to 8 pm CST Toll Free Phone and Email Support
- 24 hour access to our CPAPtalk.com Support Forum
- Learning Center for information on sleep apnea and cpap equipment
- Consumer Purchasing Trends Reports
- Warranty Services for all items purchased through CPAP.com
- Insurance Compliant Invoices
- Free Prescription Request System
- Apply Provent just before going to bed
- Begin with a clean, dry nose free of moisturizers or make up
- Always apply Provent using a mirror
- Using the tab, lift the device off the paper backing
- Draw the upper lip down towards the bottom lip to stretch the area between the nose and the upper lip as if shaving that area
- Align the mesh, non-adhesive, part of the device with the nostril using the plastic cone as a guide
- Point the tabs up, towards the inner eye
- After positioning, press down on the adhesive all the way around the device to ensure a seal
- The adhesive will overlap between the nostrils
- Breathe through your mouth, it will close once you are asleep
- Discard the one-time use Provent devices after sleep and not reuse the devices
Provent changes the feel of exhalation and will take time to become accustomed to it. If you are uncomfortable during the night, remove the Provent device and try again the next time. The Phases of Provent are intended to be used consecutive nights through the adjustment period.
People new to Provent are encouraged to read the information made available by the manufacturer. It instructs on how to apply Provent, how to breathe with it and what to expect. This will help with the acclimation process.
- Provent™ Instructions for Use
- How to Apply Provent™
- Provent™ Tips for Success
- Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy - Method of Action Flyer
- Provent Airway Pressure Graphs
- Provent Healthcare Provider Guide
Notes and Tips
- Provent is intended for use by people who can breathe through their nose. Because of the way it functions, people who breathe through their mouth will not receive the benefits of the airway pressure generated by channeling the exhaled air though the valve. If your mouth drops open during sleep consider using a Chinstrap. If you use decongestants continue to use them to maintain free airflow though the nose.
- When awake and wearing Provent, you are encouraged to breathe out through your mouth. You will begin to breathe through the device once you are asleep.
- If you are feeling uncomfortable during the night when using Provent, just take the Provent off and try again the next night.
- It is normal for the Provent adhesive ovals to overlap between the nostrils or nares.
- Excessive nasal hair should be trimmed prior to using Provent to ensure adequate airflow. A mustache may prevent adequate seal around the nare and may require additional trimming.
- Oily skin may prevent the adhesive from sticking. Using a small amount of witch hazel on a cotton swap or ball to clean around the nose will help. Allow the area to dry completely before applying Provent.
- Provent is not intended to be used simultaneously with a CPAP. Provent may be used on some nights and CPAP therapy used other nights. Do not use CPAP and Provent at the same time. Use Sleep Apnea therapy on a nightly basis to maintain the benefits of the treatment of Sleep Apnea.
- Some people who use Provent when traveling and CPAP when at home find the adjustment between the two natural. Other users find the adjustment period longer.
- If irritation in or around the nostrils occurs discontinue the use of Provent.
- Provent is not cleared for use in children. Provent is intended for use in adults over the age of 18.
- Clinical studies results for Provent show that 83% of people studied showed a reduction in snoring, and further, that in persons with OSA who snore, 58% found that Provent virtually eliminated snoring. It is recommended that you discuss Provent with your physician to see if it is an option for you.
Note: Provent is NOT recommended in the presence of any of the following conditions:
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) or a patient requiring the use of a BiPAP ST
- Severe breathing disorders including respiratory muscle weakness, bullous lung disease, bypassed upper airway, pneumothorax, pneumomediastinum, etc.
- Severe heart disease, including heart failure
- Pathologically low blood pressure
- An acute upper respiratory including nasal, sinus or middle ear inflammation or infection or perforation of the ear drum
- Deviated septum
- Those who require the use of supplemental oxygen
- Pregnant women
Customer ReviewsView All Reviews
CPAP Video & FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How is Provent different from CPAP therapy?
- Provent is a small valve device that fits over the nostrils and creates a back pressure during exhalation to keep the airway open. CPAP therapy maintains the airway by blowing a stream of air that is delivered through a mask. CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.
- How does Provent work?
- The Provent valve allows the user to easily breathe in during inhalation. During exhalation the valve closes except for a small opening or channel. Breathing out through the channel increase the pressure in the airway creating EPAP or Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure to keep the airway open.
- Do I need a prescription to buy Provent?
- Yes, Provent does require a prescription to make a purchase, just as CPAP machines and masks do. We can assist you in getting a prescription. Log into your account to have us request a prescription. Or, when checking out, you can select the field asking we contact your doctor to get a prescription.