"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERThis device met my expectations in every way. Size, performance, and so on. Traveling in Europe and it is easy to pack and maintain."
April 21, 2017
"VERIFIED CPAP.COM CUSTOMERSmall, light, easy to use, its perfect for travel. What's not to like!"
April 26, 2017
As Seen On TV!
Try the Z1 CPAP machine risk free for 15 days from the ship date! Please read the 15 Day Risk Free Trial section on this page for more terms and details regarding returns.
At 6 1/2 inches long and 10 ounces, the Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine is the lightest APAP machine available. It is small in weight and size yet big on comfort. Advanced features such as Z-Breathe exhalation relief and Nitelog data viewable on smartphones and tablets make the Z1 Auto a great option for home and travel.
Manufactured by Human Design Medical.
8% of AutoCPAP Machine product buyers choose this product.
The very small and lightweight Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine can be added to carry on luggage or a tote making CPAP therapy more easily added to a busy lifestyle. Activities away from electricity can be a reality by adding the OPTIONAL lightweight, integrated battery system. This is an auto adjusting CPAP machine designed to deliver the most effective level of air pressure on a breath by breath basis all night long. The Z1 Auto can be set as a single pressure CPAP if desired.
- Small & Discreet for Travel
- Built-in Bluetooth for Nitelog App
- Advanced Sleep Data Reporting
- Z-Breathe Pressure Relief
- Auto Altitude Adjusting
- Leak Compensation
- Ramp Feature Available
- Quiet 26dBA Operation
- Z1 APAP 15 Day Risk Free Trial
- OPTIONAL Integrated Battery
Small & Discreet for Travel
The Z1 Auto machine is designed for use on the go or staying at home. It easily fits into a backpack for camping and hiking or into a carry on bag for travel. The unique design more closely resembles an electric razor than a CPAP machine. The small footprint of the machine takes up little room on the bedside table. The machine has small rubber feet on the base to help stabilize the unit. The Z1 Auto weighs in at 10 ounces and measures 6.48 inches long x 3.3 inches wide x 2.02 inches high.
Nitelog App and Data Reporting
The Z1 Auto has a built-in Bluetooth chip used to wirelessly connect to a nearby smartphone or tablet using the free Nitelog app. This machine transmits usage data to the phone or pad for review using the application. Nitelog will allow the user to adjust basic machine settings such as Z-Breathe and ramp. Nitelog compiles the reports for the past day, week or 30 days of use. The report can be emailed from the smartphone or tablet, or screen shots can be snapped and stored to the memory of the phone or pad. The Z1 functions can be performed on the Z1 machine without the use of Nitelog.
- Using Nitelog: Download the Nitelog App from The App Store or Play Store to a smartphone or tablet (NOT included with purchase).
- Turning Bluetooth ON:
- Unplug the power adapter from the machine.
- Plug the power adapter back into the Z1 and immediately hold the Up Arrow Button.
- When Bluetooth has been turned on, the display above the pressure indicator shows "bt-On".
- The Bluetooth function recognizes and syncs with the Nitelog App on the nearby phone or tablet.
- Turning Bluetooth OFF:
- The Z1 machine can be set to NOT transmit data by using Airplane Mode.
- To turn off the Bluetooth, unplug the power supply from the back of the machine.
- Plug the power supply back on and immediately hold the Down Arrow Button.
- The display shows "bt-OFF" when Bluetooth is not activated.
Nitelog Data Report includes:
- AH Count (Apnea Hypopnea Count)
- AH Index or AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index)
- Usage Hours
- Average Pressure
Data Recording & Data Viewer Software
Data related to usage time and leaks is recorded on the Z1 Auto. The software to view the data on a Windows computer can be downloaded here: Z1 Data Viewer Software.
- Compatibility Note: At this time the software is compatible only with 32 and 64 bit Windows computers. It is not currently compatible with Mac operating systems.
- Software Instructions:
- Once the software is installed, open the software on the computer.
- Plug in the Z1 Auto Machine. Several screens will flash, ending in standby mode showing a display of "Pressure 0.0 cmh2O.
- Using the included Micro USB Cable connect the Z1 Auto the the computer.
- The "Sync with Device" option should then be offered and selected to view available data.
- Please Note: Microsoft.Net Framework 4.5 is required to install and use this software. It can be downloaded here.
The Z1 Auto operates at 26 dBA making it one of the quietest machines available. To illustrate the sound level of 26dBA, the sound rating of a room fan set to low speed as heard from 3 feet away is over 35dBA.
- Z-Breathe Pressure Relief: Z-Breathe is a comfort feature offering a reduction in the air pressure at the time of exhalation. The drop in the airstream pressures makes breathing during therapy a more natural process. Z-Breathe can be set to one of three levels:
- Z-Breathe set to 1 = gentle pressure relief at the time of exhalation
- Z-Breathe set to 2 = moderate pressure relief at the time of exhalation
- Z-Breathe set to 3 = large pressure relief at the time of exhalation
For more information about Z-Breathe, please see the Z-Breathe Information Sheet.
- Auto Altitude Adjustment: The Z1 Auto machine automatically adjusts as needed for changes in elevation. It can operate from sea level up to 8,000 feet above sea level.
- Leak Compensation: The Z1 machine adjusts the pressure to account for minor air leaks to help ensure the prescribed pressure is being met during therapy. If an excessive air leak is detected the word "REMINDER" is displayed on the screen. Correct the leak to remove the word "REMINDER" from showing on the screen.
The Z1 Auto machine includes a ramp feature that can be set from 0 to 45 minutes. This allows the therapy pressure to begin at a lower starting pressure and work up to the prescribed pressure. Many CPAP users find this to be a more comfortable way to fall to sleep. The machine can be set with or without a ramp time.
Z1 APAP 15 Day Risk Free Trial
Try the Z1 APAP machine risk free for 15 days from the ship date. If displeased with the APAP machine, contact CPAP.com to receive a return authorization number and a free return label! Please note that offer is valid only within the U.S. The machine and all included parts must be sent to CPAP.com in the original packaging. Please Note: Additional accessories purchased, such as the power shell, may also be returned with the Z1 APAP for a refund.
OPTIONAL PowerShell with Battery
The Z1 Auto is ready to go with the OPTIONAL PowerShell with Extended Life Battery. The battery is fully integrated with the machine using the unique PowerShell design which holds both the machine and battery in one compact bundle. Use the battery to run the Z1 machine independently or set the battery up as a fail over in case the AC power is interrupted.
The PowerShell includes a handy lanyard allowing the machine and battery to be hung close at hand, such as on a headboard or from a tent pole when camping. To read more about the optional battery & PowerShell read here: Z1 PowerShell with Extended Life Battery.
Firmware Update: A firmware update has been released for the Z1 Auto Machine. This firmware upgrade allows the Nitelog to be used with newer Android phones. There is also an update to the Z-Breathe pressure relief levels:
- Setting 1 (smallest relief) has been adjusted to accommodate longer battery run times.
- Setting 2 now provides stronger relief with reduced machine noise.
- Setting 3 is unchanged and provides the largest relief.
To download and install the firmware, follow these steps:
- The Z1 Data Recording Software must be downloaded and installed prior to updating the firmware. Please see instructions above regarding this software.
- Sync the Z1 Auto using the Data Recording Software and save current data stored on the Z1 Machine so it is not lost during the firmware upgrade. After syncing disconnect the Z1 Machine from the PC.
- Click here to download the firmware upgrade.
- After the firmware is installed, connect the Z1 Auto Machine to the PC and follow the instructions to complete the upgrade process.
Please Note: This update is for the Z1 Auto only. This update should not be installed on the Z1 CPAP. The Z1 CPAP contains different firmware which could be damaged if the firmware for the Z1 Auto is installed.
Z1 Travel CPAP Machine
Looking for a single-pressure version of the Z1? See the Z1 Travel CPAP Machine.
Free Returns Less Shipping 15 Days From Purchase
This Product Includes...
- Fabric Carry Pouch with Drawstring
- 4 Foot Slim Style Tube
- 2 - Disposable Filters (1 Installed)
- Tube Adapter
- AC Power Supply
- Power Cord
- Micro USB Cable
- 1 - Heat Moisture Exchange Unit
Device Dimensions: 6.48 in L x 3.3 in W x 2.02 in H ( 16.46cm x 8.38cm x 5.13cm)
Device Weight: 10 oz
Power Cord Length: 6 ft
Power Supply Cord Length: 47 in
Power Brick Dimensions: 3 3/4 in L x 1 3/4 in W x 1 1/4 in
Weight of Power Supply (Without Cord): 0.4 lbs (6.34 oz)
Weight of Power Supply With Cord: 0.6 lbs (9.41 oz)
Dimensions of Flat Fabric Carry Pouch with Drawstring: 15.25 in L x 10 in W
30 W AC Supply Input Range: 100-240V, 50-60Hz
European Voltage Usage: Yes, Outlet Adapters Required
Typical Power Consumption: 20W (30VA)
Maximum Power Consumption: 35W (70VA)
Operating Sound Level: 26 dBA
- CPAP with Ramp
- Auto-Adjusting CPAP
- Auto-Adjusting CPAP with Ramp
Available Pressures: 4 - 20 cmH2O
Pressures Setting Increments: 0.5 cmH2O
Ramp: 0 - 45 Minutes (5 Minute Increments)
Z-Breathe Settings: 1, 2, or 3 Available in both APAP & CPAP Modes. (1 = Gentle, 2 = Moderate, 3 = Maximum Drop in Pressure at Exhalation
Z1 Machine Warranty: 3 Years
Bluetooth Specifications: Built-in For Data Transfer to Nitelog
- Panasonic Electronic Components: Bluetooth Module + BLE HCI W/ANTENNA
- FCC ID: T7V1315
- FCC Compliance FCC PART15 SUBPART C
- Frequency: 2400-2483.5 MHz
- Modulation or Protocol: Bluetooth Low Energy, V4.0
- Over The Air Data Rate: 1 Mbit/s
- Application Throughput: 0.27 Mbit/s
- Security: 128-bit AES with Counter Model CBC-MAC and Application Layer User Defined
- Robustness: Adaptive Frequency Hopping, Lazy Acknowledgement, 24-bit CRC, 32-bit Message Integrity Check
- Latency (From a Non-connected State): 6ms
- Power-Output: 10dBm
- Sensitivity: -93dBm
- Standard: IEEE 802.15.1
Reported Data: AH Count; AHI; Time of Use, Leaks; Pressure
Reporting Periods: Day / Week / Month
Sharing Data: Send by Email or Print
Machine On Board Data Storage Time: 30 Days of Treatment
Nitelog App Cost: Nitelog is a Free Application
Nitelog Compatibility: iPhone or iPad Apple Products, Newer Android Phones (with machine firmware upgrade)
Compatible Apple Products
|iPhone / iPad Model||iOS|
|iPhone 4||Not Supported|
|iPhone 6 Plus||8.1|
|iPad (3rd Gen)||7.1.2, 8.1|
Compatible Android Products (Requires Machine Firmware Update)
|Phone/Tablet Model||Android Software Version|
|Samsung Galaxy S3||4.4.2|
|Samsung Galaxy S4||4.4.2|
|Samsung Galaxy S5||5.0|
|Samsung Galaxy S6||5.1.1|
|Samsung Galaxy Note 5||5.1.1|
|HTC One M8||4.4.2|
|Motorola Moto G2 (2nd Gen)||5.0.2|
|LG Nexus 5||4.4.2|
|Sony Xperia Z3||4.4.4|
|Lenovo Yoga Tablet 10 HD+||4.3|
Estimated Data Storage Space on the iPhone or iPad Used with Nitelog: Approximately 5 Bytes per Night's Use
Device Housing Construction: Flame retardant engineered thermoplastic
Filter Material: Polyester Fiber
Air Outlet Dimension: 22mm Conical Air Outlet - Complies with ISO 5356-1
Supplemental Oxygen Usage: NOT For Use With Supplemental Oxygen
Operating Altitude: Sea Level to 8,000 ft (2,591m)
Operating Temperature: 41 to 95 Degrees Fahrenheit (5 to 35 Degrees Celsius)
Operating Relative Humidity: 10% to 80% Non-CondensingStorage and Transport Temperature: -4 to 140 Degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to 60 Degrees Celsius)
Storage and Transport Relative Humidity: 10% to 95% Non-Condensing
Operating Atmospheric Pressure: 101 to 75.3 kPA
Electromagnetic Compatibility: Compatible with IEC 60601-1-2
IEC 60601-1 Classification: Class II (double insulation), Type BF
Aircraft Use: Complies with RTCA DO-160G standard for use in flight
OPTIONAL Micro SD Card Dimensions: 11.0 mm W × 15.0 mm L x 1.0 mm H (0.433 in W × 0.591 in L x 0.039 in H)
OPTIONAL Z1 Battery Specs 14.4v Li Ion Battery; 45 Watt hour; Complies with RTCA/DO-160, Section 21, Category M
Required Settings: This machine does not have required settings.
Unless directed otherwise, CPAP.com will leave the Z1 Auto Travel CPAP Machine at the following default settings:
- APAP Range: 4-10 cm H2O
- Ramp: 15 mins
- Ramp Start Pressure: 4 cm H2O
- Z-Breathe Setting: 3 (Large Pressure Relief)
Featured in commercial on: ESPN (ESPN-TV), ESPN U (ESPNU-TV), Fox Sports 1 (FS1-TV), The Weather Channel (TWC-TV), CNBC (CNBC-TV), Fox Business (FBN-TV), Fox News (FXNC-TV), Hallmark Channel (HALL-TV), MSNBC (MSNBC-TV), American Heroes Channel (AHC-TV)
CPAP.com always offers these services:
- 8 am to 8 pm CST Toll Free Phone and Email Support
- 24 hour access to our CPAPtalk.com Support Forum
- Learning Center for information on sleep apnea and cpap equipment
- Consumer Purchasing Trends Reports
- Warranty Services for all items purchased through CPAP.com
- Insurance Compliant Invoices
- Free Prescription Request System
The user manual included with this machine can be viewed and downloaded here: Z1 Travel User Guide.
FAA Compliance Letter: To view the FAA compliance letter for the Z1 CPAP Machines, click here.
Z1 Auto User Guide Document: To download the Z1 Auto User Guide, click HERE.
SD Cards Not Intended For Use with Z1 Machines
Please Note: The manufacturer recommends users not to use an SD card with the Z1 series of machines. The SD slot is intended for manufacturer testing purposes only. If the card is used, it may cause the machine to malfunction. Data accumulation is not affected by the SD slot as it is not intended to generate sleep results. Instead, use the Bluetooth connection or use the USB cable along with the Data Viewer Software to view personal sleep records on the machine.
Plug Power Cord Into AC Adapter BEFORE Plugging Into Wall Outlet: Follow these steps for powering the Z1 Machine:
- Initially, DO NOT plug the AC power cord into a wall outlet.
- Step 1: Plug the AC power cord into the AC Adapter.
- Step 2: NOW Plug the AC power cord into a wall outlet.
- Step 3: Plug the pin end of the AC Adapter into the Z1 machine.
- When powering up the Z1 machine displays start messages.
- Approximately 10 seconds later, the display shows "Pressure cmH2O 0.0" and the machine is in standby mode.
Sound Level Tips
Although the Z1 CPAP machines have a low decibel rating of 26 dBA, some users report a noticeable pitch from the machine’s motor, which may be a result of its reduced size. Unlike larger machines, smaller travel CPAPs have less internal room and components to absorb the sound of the motor. To help reduce the sound of the motor, consider adding the Q-Tube In-Line CPAP Muffler Kit to the device.
Tube Adapter Tips
To avoid damange to the silicone gasket connection on the machine, please attach and detach the tube adapter gently from the machine. Using excessive force can create tears or damage to the silicone gasket which could prevent the machine from operating properly.
HME Compatibility Tips
Machine: The Heat Moisture Exchange Unit for CPAP Machines is universal, and it is compatible with all CPAP, APAP, or BiPAP machines.
Mask: When selecting a mask, please note the Heat Moisture Exchange Unit for CPAP Machines will not work with masks that have a short tube extended from the mask frame. The HME must be very close to the moisture of exhaled air to function properly. It must be connected to a mask with a simple elbow in order to give optimal results.
Slim Style 15mm Tube: The Z1 Auto Machine requires the use of a Slim Style, 15mm tubing. It comes packaged with a 4 Foot Slim Style tube. Alternatively, any 15mm 6 Foot tube may be used. Here are some examples of 15mm 6 Foot tubes: Respironics Pure White Thin 6 Foot Performance CPAP/BiPAP Tubing (15mm) and Thin Style 6 Foot BreatheLight Tubing.
Bluetooth Connectivity Note: The manufacturer notes only a very small amount of connectivity is used by the Z1 Auto and Nitelog application making it highly tolerant of reductions in wireless quality of service. Performance of Nitelog will be affected only if service is entirely lost.
OPTIONAL Z1 PowerShell Use & Charging: Information about charging the battery and using the PowerShell is available on that product page: CLICK HERE.
The Z1 battery must be inserted into the PowerShell for charging. The Z1 Auto machine is not required to be in the PowerShell to charge the battery. When the Z1 machine is inserted in the PowerShell with the battery, the charge information is displayed on the machine screen. The charge level of the battery cannot be determined if the machine is not inserted in the PowerShell. Battery run time varies based on the pressure setting of the machine.
PLEASE NOTE: When not in use, the manufacturer suggests removing the battery from the PowerShell, as battery charge will be depleted if connected.
Backup Battery Configuration:
Please Note: In a situation where a power outage is expected but not certain, the battery can be used as a failover. While AC power is available the battery will not loose life cycles.
The Z1 Travel CPAP machines can be connected to the OPTIONAL Powershell and to AC power without causing the lifespan of the battery to decrease. The battery is designed to provide AC power to the machine while it is available, and transition immediately to DC power from the battery if AC power should fail. Once AC power is restored, the battery will begin providing that power to the machine again.
OPTIONAL PowerShell & Battery Charge Bars: When the OPTIONAL PowerShell and battery are used with the Z1, the machine display shows the amount of power remaining in the battery using a battery icon with solid bars. When the battery is charging the bars in the battery icon flash.
- 1 Solid bar = 10-25% charge remaining
- 2 Solid bar = 25-50% charge remaining
- 3 Solid bar = 50-75% charge remaining
- 4 Solid bar = 75-100% charge remaining
Length of HME Use: The manufacturer of the Z1 originally found the HME to only be suitable for one night's use, however after further research and testing it has been approved for up to seven night's usage. Be aware that some packaging and documentation may still state 24 hours, but all Z1 HME's may be used for up to 7 nights.
Z-Breathe Settings: The pressure relief setting Z-Breathe can be set to 1, 2 or 3. Please Note: Z-Breathe CANNOT be turned off. Set to 1 to receive the lowest drop in pressure at the time of exhalation.
OPTIONAL CPAP.com Small Carry Bag: The Z1 Auto includes a fabric pouch measuring 15 1/4 inches long and 10 inches wide with a drawstring closure. The CPAP.com Small Carry Bag is approximately 6 inches high by 5 1/2 inches wide by 5 inches deep and can hold the Z1 machine, power supply with outlet plug cord and hose adapter. It is padded on all sides including the top and has a removable shoulder strap, carry handle and belt handle. This bag WILL NOT hold a hose or mask.
Display Showing "REMINDER": The LCD of the the Z1 Machine will display "REMINDER" when there is an excessive air leak. This may display when a hose or mask is not attached or if the hose or mask cushion is damaged. The machine setting menu cannot be entered if a hose is not attached to the machine.
Not For Use With Supplemental Oxygen: The Z1 machine is NOT for use with supplemental oxygen or any other added gas. Do not use an oxygen tank or concentrator with the Z1 machine.
Disposable Air Filter: The Z1 uses a disposable air filter. It should not be washed and reused. Install the filter prior to using the Z1 machine. The filter should be changed monthly and the used filter discarded.
Solar Charge: At this time the Z1 Machine and PowerShell CANNOT be charged using solar power.
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-356-5221 to receive an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) Number before returning the equipment
- Include a note with the machine describing the issue you are experiencing, along with your full contact information to include a return shipping address and the RMA number provided to you
- Ship only the defective items to CPAP.com at 13235 N Promenade Blvd Stafford, TX 77477
- Do not return accessory items such as the carry bag, hose or power cords
- Loaner Machines are available for rental during the warranty process
- Email updates will be sent to keep you informed as the machine moves through the warranty process
- CPAP.com will contact the manufacturer on your behalf and handle all shipping between us and the manufacturer
- The repaired or replaced unit will be returned to you. Shipping charges may apply.
Please note: The manufacturer warranty is voided by water damage or misuse of the machine.
Z1 AC Power: The Z1 Auto Travel CPAP includes the AC Power Supply for Z1 Travel CPAP Machines. The power supply is comprised of two parts:
- Power Supply with Cord
- AC Power Cord
DC Power Options
The Z1 Auto can connect to the cigarette lighter in a car or boat through using the DC Power Cord for Z1 CPAP Machines. PLEASE NOTE: the DC Power Cord cannot be used to connect to the Freedom Travel Battery. The only way to connect to the Freedom Battery is by using the 150 W Sine Wave Inverter (sold separately).
OPTIONAL PowerShell with Battery:
Enjoy the freedom of integrated battery power with the Z1 PowerShell with Extended Life Battery. The PowerShell connects the Z1 Auto CPAP machine and the battery in a compact, portable bundle.
Interested in a battery back up which kicks on in the event of a power failure? The Z1 machine and PowerShell offers it. Place the Z1 machine and battery in the PowerShell and plug into the wall outlet. The machine will be powered by the AC electricity, battery power will NOT be used. However, if there is a disruption in the AC power supply the battery power will automatically kick on to power the CPAP, creating a failover system.
Manufacturer tests showed the Overnight Battery included with the PowerShell powered the Z1 CPAP Machine set to a pressure of 14cmH2O for 8 hours of use. Actual battery run time will vary based on machine pressure, machine settings, and personal breathing, with a manufacturer reported maximum run time of 14 hours. Manufacturer reports the battery will deliver at least a "full night." Manufacturer defines "full night" as 4 hours. Replacement battery modules are available for purchase.
The battery is charged in the PowerShell, with or without the machine in the shell. When charging the battery with the machine inserted into the shell the charge level is displayed on the machine's screen. Charging the battery without the machine in place does not provide information on the charge level. Please Note: The battery is NOT charging when the Z1 Auto CPAP machine is turned on and blowing. The battery charges only when the machine is powered off.
Freedom Battery with 150W Sine Wave Inverter:
The Z1 Travel Machine is also compatible with the Freedom Travel Battery Pack ONLY if the 150W Sine Wave Inverter is purchased separately. The Z1 Machine cannot be used directly with the Freedom battery and requires an inverter; however, please keep in mind that using an inverter will reduce the battery's run-time by half the projected amount.